Environmental Educator / Camp Leader Position
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATOR / CAMP LEADER
Summer Camp 2021
- Position Title: Environmental Educator / Camp Leader
- Dates of Position: June 10 – July 30, 2021 (Monday-Friday plus two training days, 6/10 and 6/11. No camp the week of July 5th)
- Position Hours: Approximately 35 hours per week between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm
- Compensation: $18/hour
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp
KIDS for the BAY is an environmental education organization now in our 29th year of operation. To learn more about our mission, our impact and our award-winning programs, please visit our website at: www.kidsforthebay.org.
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is now celebrating our 20 Year Anniversary of Summer Camp, delivering a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the unique environment of the San Francisco Bay Area. Camp includes science investigations, nature games, art activities, hiking explorations and more outdoor adventures. Campers learn to care for the natural environment and become environmental stewards. Team building activities help to develop a fun loving, connected and caring Summer Camp community of friends, scientists and environmentalists.
Camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm, and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Tilden Park, Strawberry Creek, and Berkeley Marina.
Camp sessions are for Adventures Campers age 5-7 and Explorers age 8-11. Camper Ambassadors, ages 12 &13 help out with younger campers, and youth age 14 – 17 are Leaders in Training/Interns. Each week of camp is led and managed by Environmental Educators including year-round KftB Program Staff, Camp Leaders and Camp Assistant Leaders. Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience.
Camp Leader Responsibilities
• Review camp curricula and prepare to teach activities
• Lead hands-on nature, art, science, adventure, community-building and play activities
• Manage and teach whole groups of campers and attend to the individual needs of campers
• Supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times
• Maintain a safe, respectful, positive camp environment
• Maintain positive, professional communication at all times
• Provide guidance, leadership, and support to Camp Assistant Leaders and Camp Interns
• Contribute to the Camp Log to record daily highlights and quotes
• Provide pictures of each camp session for the weekly Camp Highlights Flyer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Undergraduate degree, preferably in education, environmental studies, science, or a related field
• At least two years of experience teaching environmental, science, and/or outdoor education to elementary school aged youth
• Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment, sit on the ground for circle time and play active games with campers
• Commitment to equity and inclusion
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability and desire to be a positive role model
• Willingness to follow direction from the Summer Camp Manager and to work in a team with other Camp Leaders
• Confidence and ability to take initiative and take the lead, even in unfamiliar situations
• Upbeat, positive, mature attitude and respectful communication approach
• Valid CPR/First Aid certification
• A reliable car to travel to/from various camp locations.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
• Knowledge of local creek, bay and marine habitats and ecology
• Experience working in a youth camp setting
• Other relevant talents (e.g. nature games, storytelling, music, arts and crafts).
The Camp Leader (CL) will be a temporary employee of Earth Island Institute (KftB’s fiscal sponsor), with employment beginning on June 10 and ending on July 30, 2021. The CL will be paid $18/hour and will submit hours to receive paychecks semi-monthly. The position does not include any health benefits or paid vacation time, but does include worker’s compensation.
Application Deadline – open until filled. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
Your application package must include the following:
• a cover letter
• your resume
• at least two references, including at least one direct supervisor, with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, email your application to: email@example.com, with the subject line ‘Summer Camp Leader’.
A background check by a Live Scan service provider will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.
KIDS for the BAY/Earth Island Institute values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer.