Watershed Action Program
In this exciting program, aligned with Next Generation Science Standards, KIDS for the BAY comes to your classroom to teach hands-on science experiments and activities that engage students with their local watershed. The Watershed Action Program consists of four two-hour interactive Classroom Lessons, an Environmental Action Project and a fully-funded Field Trip to a local creek, bay, delta or ocean habitat. It is also a teacher-training program; a curriculum guide and supplies are provided and activities are modeled for you with your students.
“The KftB curriculum is exactly what our students need — hands-on, engaging science!”
— Rene Molina, Principal, Berkeley Arts Magnet School, Berkeley
In hands-on investigations, you and your students will:
- Build a three-dimensional model of the San Francisco Bay-Delta estuary
- Experiment with mixing fresh water and salt water to create brackish water
- Investigate real seaweed, fish and crabs and link them into food chains
- Take action for your watershed by reducing trash and storm drain pollution.
“It is a very powerful program. I think my third graders will come away with a lifelong appreciation for the work of preserving our watershed.”
— Kirstin Lono, Third Grade Teacher, Berkeley Arts Magnet School, Berkeley
Environmental Action Projects may include:
- Perform a Schoolwide Assembly about reducing trash and pollution in the watershed
- Organize schoolwide trash clean-up and Zero Waste Lunch events
- Help restore your local creek
- Reduce ocean acidification by reducing your school’s carbon footprint
- Conserve precious fresh water resources
- Demonstrate safe bay fish cooking practices at a school-community presentation.
“Every visit, everything you’ve done, has been a really great use of our time. It is age appropriate, tied to standards, and the students have had a lot of fun learning hands-on science!”
— Kaycee Thayer, Third Grade Teacher, Learning Without Limits, Oakland
This is a scholarship program, please contact us to determine if your school is eligible to participate.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2019-2020 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2018-2019 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2017-2018 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2016-2017 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2015-2016 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2014-2015 Year in Review Flyer.
Click here to view the Watershed Action Program 2013-2014 Year in Review Flyer.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | 510-985-1602