Environmental Educator / Camp Assistant Leader Position
ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATOR / CAMP ASSISTANT LEADER
Summer Camp 2020
Position Title: Environmental Educator / Camp Assistant Leader
Dates of Position: June 11 – August 7, 2020 (Monday-Friday plus two training days, no camp July 2 & 3)
Position Hours: Approximately 40 hours per week between 8:30 am and 4 pm or 9 am and 5:30 pm as scheduled
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp
KIDS for the BAY is an environmental education organization now in our 28th year of operation. To learn more about our mission, our impact and our award-winning programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org.
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is now celebrating our 20 Year Anniversary of Summer Camp, delivering a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the unique environment of the San Francisco Bay Area. Camp includes science investigations, nature games, art activities, hiking, kayaking, swimming and many more adventures. Campers learn to care for the natural environment and become environmental stewards. Team building activities help to develop a fun loving, connected and caring Summer Camp community of friends, scientists and environmentalists.
Camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30 am and 4 pm and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Tilden Park, Strawberry Creek, and Berkeley Marina. All sessions of camp include special field trips to ocean beaches, the Exploratorium, China Camp State Park, the Aquarium of the Bay and more exciting destinations.
Camp sessions are for Adventurers Campers age 5-7 and Explorers age 8-11. Camper Ambassadors, age 12 &13 help out with younger campers, and youth age 14 – 17 are Leaders in Training/Interns. Each week of camp is led and managed by Environmental Educators including year-round KftB Program Staff, Camp Leaders and Camp Assistant Leaders. Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience. KftB also runs an after-care camp Nature Club from 4-5:30 pm.
• Assist in leading hands-on nature, art, science, adventure, community-building and play activities
• Supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times
• Maintain a safe, respectful, positive camp environment and attend to campers’ individual needs
• Maintain positive, upbeat, and professional communication at all times.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Applicant must be 18 years of age by the first day of camp, June 15, 2020
• Previous camp or other teaching or child care experience
• Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment, sit on the ground for circle times and play active games with campers
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Willingness to follow directions and work with a team of camp staff
• Confidence and ability to take initiative and take the lead when required
• Commitment to equity and inclusion.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
• Knowledge of local creek, bay, and marine habitats and ecology
• Valid CPR/First Aid certification
• Other relevant talents (e.g. storytelling, music, arts and crafts).
The Camp Assistant Leader (CAL) will be a temporary employee of Earth Island Institute (KftB’s fiscal sponsor), with employment beginning on June 11 and ending on August 7, 2020. The CAL will be paid $15/hour and will submit time sheets to receive paychecks semi-monthly. The position does not include any health benefits or paid vacation time, but does include worker’s compensation.
Application Deadline, March 2, 2020. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
Your application package must include the following:
• a cover letter
• your resume
• at least two references with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A background check by a Live Scan service provider will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.
KIDS for the BAY/Earth Island Institute values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer.