Summer Camp Intern Position
SUMMER CAMP INTERN
- Position Title: Camp Intern (CI)
- Dates of Employment: 2-4 sessions between June 17 and August 9, 2019 (Monday-Friday)
- Position Hours: Work hours are 38 hours per week between 8:30am and 4pm
- Compensation: unpaid volunteer
Who Is KIDS for the BAY?
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is an environmental education organization now celebrating our 25 Year Anniversary! We provide professional development for teachers and academic enrichment for students, using the local environment as a living laboratory to encourage scientific learning. KftB’s programs also empower children to take action to help solve environmental problems in their communities. Since 1992 KftB has provided environmental science education to 81,688 students and more than 10,000 parents. We have also provided curricula, resources and training to 3,363 teachers. KIDS for the BAY also provides an exciting Summer Camp for young scientists to explore in nature, discover unique ecosystems and become environmental stewards. KftB is a project of Earth Island Institute, our fiscal sponsor. To learn more about our mission and our award-winning programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org.
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp Overview
KftB Camp is a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the outdoors, studying the environment of the San Francisco Bay Area through engaging investigations and scientific adventures.
Our camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30am and 4pm and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Lake Anza, Jewel Lake, Strawberry Creek, and the Berkeley Marina. Some sessions of camp include special field trips; transportation to these sites is provided by KIDS for the BAY.
KIDS for the BAY offers camp sessions for three different age groups: 5-7 years, 8-10 years and 11-13 years (Leaders in Training). Each week of camp is led and managed by a combination of Camp Leaders, Camp Assistant Leaders, and Camp Interns. Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience. KftB also runs an after-care Nature Club from 4-5:30 pm.
Camp Intern Position Description
Help make KIDS for the BAY’s Summer Camp an exciting and enriching experience! Camp Interns (CIs) will work side by side with Camp Leaders each day of camp, assist Camp Leaders with leading various camp activities, and help ensure the safety of campers.
CIs will gain valuable experience in teaching best practices in environmental education, and coordinating a camp program. CIs will receive guidance, support, and direction from the Summer Camp Program Manager throughout the summer, and will receive supervision and direction from Camp Leaders on a day-to-day basis. This position is an excellent career development opportunity for anyone seeking to gain experience in teaching environmental education and working with youth.
Camp Intern Responsibilities
- Support camp staff in leading hands-on summer camp activities each day of camp
- Help to supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times
- Assist camp staff in maintaining a safe, respectful, positive camp environment, while attending to the individual needs of the campers
- Meet with the Summer Camp Manager on a regular basis to discuss goals, develop strategies for meeting them, discuss any challenges and evaluate the Camp Intern experience.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 14 years of age
- Ability and desire to be a positive role model to campers
- Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Upbeat, positive, mature attitude and respectful communication approach
- Ability to take and follow direction from the Summer Camp Manager and Camp Leaders
- Open to learning and working with a team of camp staff
- A reliable means of transportation to get to/from various camp sites
- Any musical ability or other relevant talents (e.g. storytelling, arts and crafts) to contribute to the camp are a plus
- Any knowledge of local creek, bay and coastal habitats and ecology is also a plus
The Camp Intern position is an unpaid volunteer position. The CI and the CI’s parent/guardian will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging informed consent and releasing KftB of any liability in case of injury or accident relating to the position and to volunteering with KftB.
A limited number of positions are open until filled. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
To apply please send an email to the Camp Manager, Valerie Lowe, at firstname.lastname@example.org answering the following questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Intern for KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp?
- Based on your experience and talents, how do you think you could help our young campers enjoy exploring in nature and learning science this summer?
- We are looking for CIs that want to learn, grow and strengthen their leadership skills. Please describe two goals you would like to achieve through your experience as a CI?
If you seem like a good fit for the program, Valerie will contact you to set up a brief interview.
KIDS for the BAY values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.