Leaders in Training/ Intern Position
LEADER IN TRAINING INTERN (Summer Camp)
- Position Title: LIT (LIT)
- Dates of Employment: 2-4 sessions between June 15 and August 7, 2020 (Monday-Friday)
- Position Hours: Work hours are 38 hours per week between 8:30am and 4pm
- Compensation: unpaid volunteer
Who Is KIDS for the BAY?
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is an environmental education organization now in our 28th year of operation! We provide professional development for teachers and academic enrichment for students, using the local environment as a living laboratory to encourage scientific learning. KftB’s programs also empower children to take action to help solve environmental problems in their communities. Since 1992 KftB has provided environmental science education to 91,130 students and more than 10,400 parents. We have also provided curricula, resources and training to 3,694 teachers. KIDS for the BAY also provides an exciting Summer Camp for young scientists to explore in nature, discover unique ecosystems and become environmental stewards. KftB is a project of Earth Island Institute, our fiscal sponsor. To learn more about our mission and our award-winning programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org.
KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp Overview
KftB Camp is a fun-filled summer of hands-on science and nature exploration in the outdoors, studying the environment of the San Francisco Bay Area through engaging investigations and scientific adventures.
Our camp sessions are one week long (Monday-Friday) between the hours of 8:30am and 4pm and take place at various natural habitats around the Berkeley area, including Lake Anza, Jewel Lake, Strawberry Creek, and the Berkeley Marina. Some sessions of camp include special field trips; transportation to these sites is provided by KIDS for the BAY.
KIDS for the BAY offers camp sessions for three different age groups: 5-7 years (Adventurers), 8-11 years (Explorers) and 12 and13 years (Camp Ambassadors). Each week of camp is led and managed by a combination of Camp Leaders, Camp Assistant Leaders, and Leaders in Training (LIT). Our camper-to-staff ratio is low, ensuring an enriching, safe, and positive camp experience. KftB also runs an after-care Nature Club from 4-5:30 pm.
Leader in Training Intern Position Description
Help make KIDS for the BAY’s Summer Camp an exciting and enriching experience! LITs will work side by side with Camp Leaders each day of camp, assist Camp Leaders with leading various camp activities, and help ensure the safety of campers.
LITs will gain valuable experience in teaching best practices in environmental education, and coordinating a camp program. LITs will receive guidance, support, and direction from the Summer Camp Program Manager throughout the summer, and will receive supervision and direction from Camp Leaders on a day-to-day basis. This position is an excellent career development opportunity for anyone seeking to gain experience in teaching environmental education and working with youth.
Leader in Training Intern Responsibilities
- Support camp staff in leading hands-on summer camp activities each day of camp
- Help to supervise campers during snack, lunch, and free play times
- Assist camp staff in maintaining a safe, respectful, positive camp environment, while attending to the individual needs of the campers
- Meet with the Summer Camp Manager on a regular basis to discuss goals, develop strategies for meeting them, discuss any challenges and evaluate the Internship experience.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 14 years of age
- Ability and desire to be a positive role model to campers
- Ability to walk and hike along trails while carrying light equipment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Upbeat, positive, mature attitude and respectful communication approach
- Ability to take and follow direction from the Summer Camp Manager and Camp Leaders
- Open to learning and working with a team of camp staff
- A reliable means of transportation to get to/from various camp sites
- Any musical ability or other relevant talents (e.g. storytelling, arts and crafts) to contribute to the camp are a plus
- Any knowledge of local creek, bay and coastal habitats and ecology is also a plus
The LIT position is an unpaid volunteer position. The LIT and the LIT’s parent/guardian will be required to sign a waiver acknowledging informed consent and releasing KftB of any liability in case of injury or accident relating to the position and to volunteering with KftB.
A limited number of positions are open until filled. Apply early; interviews will be held as applications are received.
To apply please send an email to the Camp Manager, Jim Cartan, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Leader in Training 2020 Summer Camp” in the subject line. Please also answer the following questions in the body of your email:
- Why are you interested in becoming an Intern for KIDS for the BAY Summer Camp?
- Based on your experience and talents, how do you think you could help our young campers enjoy exploring in nature and learning science this summer?
- We are looking for LITs that want to learn, grow and strengthen their leadership skills. Please describe two goals you would like to achieve through your LIT experience.
If you seem like a good fit for the program, Jim will contact you to set up a brief interview.