Week One, June 19-23
Bay Science Adventures: age 5-7 years
Bay Science Explorers: age 8-10 years
Explore the unique habitats of the San Francisco Bay, including the intertidal rocky shore, the sandy beach and mudflats. Investigate the fascinating organisms that live in bay habitats and their adaptations. Meet a sea squirt, hold a shoreline crab, taste seaweed and learn how everything is interconnected in bay food chains. Observe shoreline birds and discover the unique features of the San Francisco Bay. Learn about the problems of storm drain pollution to the bay and how to reduce this pollution at the source.
Sample Bay Science Adventures Activities:
- Dissect squid and go crab fishing off a pier
- Meet amazing animals and plants in belly biology
- Learn how intertidal organisms adapt to the movements of the tides
- Help to restore Strawberry Creek by planting creek-side plants.
Sample Bay Science Explorers Activities:
- Take a ferry boat ride to explore Angel Island
- Take a BART ride to the Aquarium of the Bay
- Construct a three-dimensional model of the San Francisco Bay
- Collect and observe plankton in field microscopes.