Program Manager / Environmental Educator
Position Title: Program Manager/Environmental Educator
Position Terms: Full-time position with full benefits
Start Date: Early-mid November, 2021
Application Deadline: Position open until filled
Location: East San Francisco Bay Area, California, based in Berkeley
KIDS for the BAY (KftB) is an environmental education organization now in its 30th year of operation. We deliver engaging, hands-on programs to our partner elementary schools throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Our programs connect school students with nature on field trips to creek, bay and ocean habitats, engage students in science learning that supports Next Generation Science Standards and inspire students to become active environmentalists. We provide professional development in environmental science education for our partner teachers. We also run an exciting Summer Camp for children ages 5 – 11 to explore in nature, learn hands-on science and become environmental stewards. For more information about our mission, impact and programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org. KIDS for the BAY is a project of Earth Island Institute.
Our office is located in the Lorin District of Berkeley, walking distance from Ashby BART station and surrounded by popular coffee shops, restaurants and unique neighborhood stores, as well as a weekly Farmers Market. Several working days each week will be spent in the office and several days each week will be spent traveling to work at our partner school sites and our special field trip and Summer Camp locations. KftB offers a friendly, supportive working environment, with excellent professional development opportunities.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is passionate about teaching children environmental education and supporting their teachers and families. They care deeply about education, diversity, equity and inclusion, hands-on science learning and promoting positive solutions to environmental problems. This person has a lot of energy and enthusiasm, is highly organized, has excellent writing skills and can multi-task on a daily basis to meet the needs of working in an effective grassroots nonprofit organization that provides quality, community-based programs. This position has significant growth potential for a person committed to a career in the field of environmental education.
Teach School-Based Programs:
- Teach environmental science curricula to elementary school students in the classroom and in the outdoors
- Lead nature-based field trips to creek, bay and ocean habitats
- Outreach to schools to recruit new teacher participants and conduct orientation, planning, evaluation and follow-up meetings with teachers
- Model environmental science lessons for elementary school teachers
- Liaise with project partners and coordinate service-learning Environmental Action Projects.
Teach Summer Camp:
- Lead hands-on nature, environmental science, art and play activities in the outdoors each week of camp
- Manage the activities, materials and equipment needed for each day of camp
- Maintain a safe, fun, respectful, positive camp environment for all campers and camp staff.
Manage School-based Programs:
- Organize teaching equipment, supplies, and curricula materials
- Manage teacher follow-up support program
- Manage government funder contracts and communications including: creating contract management plans, writing and submitting reports with photo documents and other deliverables, creating annual program reports and year-in- review flyers, making presentations to funders and assisting with coordinating funder site visits
- Gather pictures, quotes and highlights to prepare blog page stories and support communications projects.
Manage Summer Camp:
- Support outreach and communications
- Manage registration using the Active Network platform
- Organize program materials, activities and equipment
- Set up special visitor programs and locations.
Qualifications and Experience
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- At least two years of classroom and outdoor teaching experience at the elementary school level to culturally and economically diverse populations
- Program management, communications and administrative experience
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental education, education, environmental/biological sciences
- Knowledge of environmental literacy, San Francisco Bay Area ecology, aquatic science, citizen science, environmental health and justice issues and Next Generation Science Standards
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Bilingual in Spanish or other commonly spoken language in the San Francisco Bay Area preferred
Required Work Traits/Skills:
- Upbeat, positive, mature attitude and professional communication approach
- Enthusiasm, energy, and commitment to carry out program management and teaching responsibilities
- Ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail and high quality of work
- Excellent organizational skills, effective time management, and efficient planning
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to follow direction from supervisor, as well as self-direct/manage tasks independently
- Desire and ability to work in the outdoors with youth, including walking and hiking along trails while carrying light equipment
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Education and restoration equipment for programs must be transported from the office to each school or field trip site, therefore a reliable car is required for this position. Work-related travel is reimbursed at the federal mileage rate.
The starting salary range is $38,000 to $40,000 per year depending on qualifications and experience. Full benefits (medical, dental, vision) and paid vacation are provided.
Application Deadline: Position open until filled Start date: Early-mid November, 2021
Please submit your cover letter and resume and please include a list of at least two references with full name,
title, place of work, relationship to you, and current contact information (phone and email) including at least one
direct supervisor, by email to: email@example.com
Please write: Program Manager Application in the subject line.
A background check by a Live Scan service provider will be required to complete the hiring process.