Development, Communications & Office Manager
KIDS for the BAY is an environmental education organization now in our 27th year of operation. We deliver engaging, hands-on programs to our partner elementary schools throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Our programs connect school students with nature on field trips to creek, bay and ocean habitats, engage students in science learning aligned with Next Generation Science Standards in the classroom and in the outdoors and inspire students to become active environmentalists. We provide professional development in environmental science education for our partner teachers. We also run an exciting Summer Camp for children ages 5 – 13 to explore in nature, learn hands-on science and become inspired environmentalists. For more information about our mission, impact and programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org. KIDS for the BAY is a project of Earth Island Institute.
KIDS for the BAY offers a friendly, supportive working environment, with excellent professional development opportunities. Our office is located in the Lorin District of Berkeley, walking distance from Ashby BART station and surrounded by popular coffee shops, restaurants and unique neighborhood stores, as well as a weekly Farmers Market.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is passionate about raising funds for important work in environmental education and communicating exciting success stories and highlights with our community. S/he cares deeply about education, diversity, equity and inclusion, and the environment. This person has a lot of energy and enthusiasm, is highly organized and has excellent writing skills as well as graphic design and social media experience. S/he can multi-task on a daily basis to meet the needs of working in a busy office environment and meeting important deadlines. This position is a wonderful opportunity for a person committed to a career in the field of nonprofit development and communications.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop fundraising and communications plans
- Work with the Advisory Board and the Development/Communications Committee to increase the effectiveness of fundraising and communications strategies
- Provide input to strategic planning
- Increase the participation of staff and Advisory Board Members in fundraising and communications
Development and Fundraising:
- Prepare applications/proposals for assigned foundation, corporate and government funders
- Research potential new funders and cultivate relationships with assigned funders
- Prepare reports, photo documents, and all other communications materials needed for foundation and corporate funders
- Manage government funder contracts and communications including: creating contract management plans, writing and submitting reports, invoices, receipts and deliverables
- Visit classroom, field trip and Summer Camp sites to gather stories, quotes, pictures and videos
- Work closely with program staff to gather program reports/highlights, quotes, pictures and evaluation information
- Make presentations to funders and lead funder site visits
- Manage Salesforce donor database, prepare donor communications and annual mailings
- Manage special events
Manage all organization, fundraising and program communications:
- Develop and update website
- Create annual print Newsletter and Annual Report
- Manage Mailchimp email database, create quarterly E-Newsletter and all email campaigns
- Manage social media – Facebook and Instagram
- Manage online advertising campaigns for Summer Camp
Ensure the smooth running of the KftB office including:
- Process weekly accounting and keep all accounting records
- Take inventory and order supplies
- Maintain the efficiency of all technology and office equipment
- Maintain and improve the office environment
Qualifications and Experience
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- At least two years of development and communications experience
- Bachelors degree
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Graphic design and social media experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, and Forms), Publisher and database CRM (experience with Salesforce is a plus)
Required Work Traits/Skills:
- Excellent organizational skills, effective time management, and efficient planning to accommodate a busy schedule
- Upbeat, positive, professional attitude and communication approach
- Desire and enthusiasm to be in a leadership role within the organization and to represent the organization within the community
- Willingness to follow direction from supervisor, as well as self-direct/manage tasks independently
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail and high quality of work in order to meet deadlines in an efficient and timely manner
- Commitment to environmental education and to diversity, equity and inclusion
This is a full-time position. Generous paid vacation and benefits are provided. The starting salary is $40,000.
Application Deadline: March 11, 2019, by 5 p.m.
Anticipated start date: April 9, 2019
Your application package must include a cover letter, resume and at least two references with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, email your application to: email@example.com with “Development Manger position application” in the subject line.
A background check by a Live Scan service provider will be required before the hiring process can be finalized.