KIDS for the BAY is an environmental education organization now in our 27th year of operation. We deliver engaging, hands-on programs to our partner elementary schools throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Our programs connect school students with nature on field trips to creek, bay and ocean habitats, engage students in science learning aligned with Next Generation Science Standards in the classroom and in the outdoors and inspire students to become active environmentalists. We provide professional development in environmental science education for our partner teachers. We also run an exciting Summer Camp for children ages 5 – 13 to explore in nature, learn hands-on science and become inspired environmentalists. For more information about our mission, impact and programs, please visit our website at www.kidsforthebay.org. KIDS for the BAY is a project of Earth Island Institute.
KIDS for the BAY offers a friendly, supportive working environment, with excellent professional development opportunities. Our office is located in the Lorin District of Berkeley, walking distance from Ashby BART station and surrounded by popular coffee shops, restaurants and unique neighborhood stores, as well as a weekly Farmers Market.
The Communications Manager will work closely with the Executive Director to manage general, funder/donor and program communications for KIDS for the BAY. They will also work closely with our program staff and will meet with our teacher partners to develop and expand our Blue Watershed Classrooms teacher follow-up program. The Communications Manager will support the Executive Director in all areas of organizational development including fundraising and working with the Advisory Board. This position is a wonderful opportunity for a person committed to developing their career in the nonprofit field.
- Visit classroom, field trip and Summer Camp sites to gather stories, quotes, pictures and videos
- Work closely with program staff to gather program reports/highlights, quotes, pictures and evaluation information
- Create annual print Newsletter and Annual Report
- Manage Mailchimp email database, create quarterly E-Newsletter and segmented email campaigns
- Develop and update website
- Manage social media and increase social media presence – Facebook and Instagram
- Manage online advertising campaigns for Summer Camp and school programs
- Prepare reports and photo documents, track receipts and prepare invoices for foundation, corporate and government funders
- Research potential new funders
- Prepare applications/proposals for assigned foundation, corporate and government funders
- Manage Salesforce donor database, prepare donor communications and annual mailings
- Manage special events
Blue Watershed Classrooms Communications:
- Develop outreach materials for Blue Watershed Classrooms (BWC) teacher follow-up program
- Recruit past teacher partners to participate
- Meet with teachers at their school sites to provide orientations and deliver equipment kits
- Track BWC teacher and student activities, gather quotes, stories and pictures and process surveys
- Develop and maintain BWC web page highlighting teacher partners and distribute certificates and awards to teachers
Ensure the smooth running of the KftB office including:
- Process weekly accounting and keep all accounting records
- Take inventory and order supplies
- Maintain the efficiency of all technology and office equipment
- Maintain and improve the office environment
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- At least two years of program and communications experience, preferably in the fields of environmental education, education or environment
- Bachelors degree
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Basic graphic design and social media experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, and Forms), Publisher, Database CRM (experience with Salesforce is a plus), Basic WordPress is a plus
Required Work Traits/Skills:
- Excellent organizational skills and effective time management
- Upbeat, positive, professional attitude and communication approach
- Desire and enthusiasm to be in a leadership role within the organization and to represent the organization within the community
- Willingness to follow direction from supervisor, as well as self-direct/manage tasks independently
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail and high quality of work in order to meet deadlines in an efficient and timely manner
- Commitment to environmental education and to diversity, equity and inclusion
This is a full-time position. Generous paid vacation and benefits are provided. The salary range is $40,000 – $45,000.
Application Deadline: April 22, 2019, by 5 p.m.
Anticipated start date: May, 2019
Your application package must include a cover letter, resume and at least two references with current contact information (email and phone number).
To apply, email your application to: email@example.com with “Communications Manger position application” in the subject line.